Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lekfosa, the north part of the divided capital

The northern part of the divided capital, or the Turkish part, has more attractions than the South.
Visiting this part after crossing the border at Ledra Street, I like the magnificent Selimiye Mosque. It was obvious that previously it was a great church, but it was akwardly converted into a mosque. Buyuk Han, a caravanserai turned into a commercial center was closed when I visited on Sunday, but I visited again on Tuesday night. It was a nice site. I visited also the Yiyitler Park since I tried to follow Lonely Planet Walking Route. It said that from this park, the North and South neighbourhood looking at each other closely.

the sign seen in the border

ugly part of the city

an alley in the old city


the venetian wall
in the other side of the fence is Republic of Cyprus



a small open hammam


Selimiye Mosque
Selimiye Mosque, converted from church to mosque

my brunch, my favourite Turkish soup

Buyuk Han

Buyuk Hammam

Buyuk Han at night
Selimiye Mosque at night

No comments:

Post a Comment