Friday, November 11, 2011

Lefkosia, the Divided Capital, south version

I arrived at night in the capital of Republic of Cyprus, Lefkosia, the last divided capital in the world. The south half of the walled city is Republic of Cyprus capital, and the north half of the city is Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus capital, called Lefkosa.
In the south half that night, I drove into the walled old city, to the Hammam, but finally I decided not to take the package with the massage since I had to wait for an hour, and the price was expensive (the package with scrub and massage costed EUR 80). I tried to find the youth hostel, informed in Cyprus Mail website, but shocked to find that even though the place had Nicosia Youth Hostel written in the front, it was not opened. I called HI hostel mentioned in Lonely Planet, but was informed that the hostel was closed few years ago. Finally, I found a room at Lonely Planet recommended budget hotel inside the old city, called Sky Hotel, a 2 stars hotel costed EUR 43.
I found an amusement park just outside the wall and rode on the Giant Wheel. It was quite a scary experience since I was put still in the high position for quite some time, worried maybe the staff had forgotten me, and worried that the power went down as happened once before I rode on.
The next morning, after crossing the border to the North, I returned to the South and walking around the city, visiting attractions like Famagusta Gate, Omeriye Mosque.
I ate lunch in a budget area, a curry with rice for EUR 3.5.
Hammam Omeriye
the amusement park just in front of the old city wall

Cyprus coffee in Cafe la Mode

on the Giant Wheel looking at Lefkosia old city by night
Venetian Wall, along the city

female expats from the Phillippines doing volley ball game
Ledra Street in the Old City

pedestrian border crossing at Ledra Street

the last divided capital

border crossing
sunday service


Omeriye Mosque

Hammam Omeriye


Agios Ionnis church
aquaduct

Famagusta Gate


Liberty Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment