Friday, November 11, 2011

Akrotiri Peninsula

Akrotiri Peninsula was located between Lemesos and Kourion. I visited the Monastry of St.Nicholas of Cats, attracted by the name and the story behind it. As I read in Lonely Planet, many years ago, many cats were brought from Egypt and Palestine to Cyprus, because there were many poisonous snakes. The cats were used as bait, if I didn't understand it mistakenly. The monastery itself was not opened to the public. We could only see the garden with lots of cats from outside. I was lucky since when I was there, a sister came out and I could see the feeding of the cats. The number of the cats were enermous.
On the way back, I drove a bit off road, onto the dry salt lake. There was no water on the lake that time, but I could take few nice pictures.
I stopped by in a restaurant to eat my lunch, a pork kebab.

the road


Monastery St.Nicholas of Cats


feeding time



the salt lake

my big lunch, a pork kebab


No comments:

Post a Comment